A washing machine is a basic need for everyone. There are some things that you should be concerned about while buying a best washing machine for your home.
There are two types of washing machines out there in the Indian market. Semi-automatic and fully automatic washing machine.
Fully-automatic washing machines are also further categorized into two types that are Top load washing and front-loading washing machine.
This article will help you in understanding the difference between the top-loading washing machine and the front-loading washing machine.
Go through these 11 points to see who emerges as the winner.
1)Drum position and user comfort
The basic difference between the front loading and top loading washing machine is the position of the washing drum.
In front load washing machines, the wash drum is placed horizontally while in the top-loading washing machine the drum is vertically placed.
The vertical placement of the drum in a top-loading machine is much comfortable for a user who suffers from back pain or joint pain.
Winner: Top loading washing machine.
As you just saw a top-loading washing machine is more comfortable but this machine might be a little hard on your clothes.
Front-load washing machines are much softer in clothes. Plus, the top load washer cannot wash heavy clothes like curtains and bed-sheets efficiently as the large clothes don’t immerse fully in the water.
Large clothes don’t immerse in water in front loaders as well, but because of its horizontal alignment, the water keeps rotating and splashing on clothes.
Hence the front loaders can wash large clothes efficiently as well.
Winner: Front loading washing machine.
In top loading washing machines, the clothes need to be fully immersed in the water for washing.
In the front-loading washing machines, the drum is filled less than half with water as a horizontally rotating drum puts the clothes back in the water repeatedly.
Even the companies and reports keep rating the front load washers as “very good” in comparison to top load washers.
You should consider this factor while buying a washing machine as it will also help to preserve nature.
Winner: Front-load washers
Most of the top-load washers have agitators at the bottom of the drum which does the work of shaking the water and clothes for better cleaning.
Agitators are large in size because of which the capacity of washing of top load washers is less as compared to that of front-load washers.
Even without the agitators, the capacity of a top-loading washing machine is less than the front-loading washing machine because of the drum size.
But, some top load washers without agitators might have more washing capacity than the front load washers (a rare case).
Winner: Front-load washing machines
5) Clothes friendly
The front-load washers are very soft with clothes as they do not have any agitators in the drum.
Top-loading washing machines have large agitators at the bottom of the drum which helps in cleaning the clothes better but these agitators are very rough on the clothes and are one of the reasons short life span of even the best quality clothes.
So, if you are always thinking about why my great quality clothes do not run for too long, this might be the reason.
Winner: Front-load washing machines.
In India, people face the problem of the frequent power cuts in almost all places in the country and it is highly recommended to buy a front load washer if you live in such an area.
The front-loading washing machine can clean the clothes in a smaller number of spin cycles as compared to that of top load washers.
This is due to the bigger size of the drum and its horizontal placement.
A large amount of water in the drum of top load washers puts more stress on the motors, hence more power is consumed in top load washer.
Winner: Front load washer.
7) Installation Flexibility
A front-loading washing machine is a much more installation flexible than the top-loading washing machine.
A front-load washer can be stacked in a special cabinet on the part wall.
That is if there is a large cabin-like space on the wall then it can be kept there and used easily as the door of the drum will be along the wall.
This feature of the front-loading washing machine saves a lot of space in the laundry section of a home or in the bathroom.
The top-loading washing machine cannot be stacked like, it needs a proper vertical space for working.
Winner: Front loading washing machine
The thing that you must be waiting for, how much your pocket is going to get lite.
Front loading washing machines are tagged with a high price compared to the top load washer.
The price of Front-load machines in India falls anywhere between 20,000 and 60,000 while top load machines are much more affordable and start only from 14,000.
Front-load machines are a result of complex and advanced designing while the top load machines are very simply designed and are light weight.
But you get the benefit of low expenses on water and electricity if you use the front load machine.
Winner: Top loading washing machines
9) Last-minute clothes addition
In the front load washing machines, the door of the machine gets locked once you have kept the clothes in and has started the machine.
The only thing now you can do to add or remove clothes from the machine before washing is to cut out the machine’s power.
While in the top load washing machine you just have to open the door as it does not get locked and put the clothes.
Winner: Top loading washing machines.
The drum in the front-loading washing machine is horizontally placed because of which it gets a hand of help from nature that is Gravity.
Front-load machines rely on the nature of washing. While the top-loading washing machines rely heavily on hardware for cleaning such as the agitator.
Hence there is more chance of the hardware equipment in top-loading washing machines to get broken.
Winner: Front loading washing machines
11)Which one is faster
Top-loading washing machines that have agitators in drum generally give faster cleaning.
The front-loading washing machines wash clothes in less no. of spins but it spins too slowly as compared to the top-loading washing machine.
Winner: Top-loading washing machines.
You just saw the detailed comparison of the Front-loading washing machine and the top-loading washing machine.
If you have read all the points carefully then till now you might have made up your mind about which one you have to buy.
In most of the points, front-loading washing machines are better but the high price of the machine is the reason that most of people do not prefer buying it.
But, wait there are still some things that you must check before buying a washing machine.
- Brand of the washing machine: Choosing a trustworthy brand of a product is very important when you are going to spend a good amount of money. Some of the top leading brands of washing machines in India are Toshiba, Haier, LG, Bosch, IFB, Samsung, and Whirlpool.
- The capacity of the machine: Choosing the correct drum capacity is an important thing else you will be washing the clothes in installments. The capacity of fully automatic washing machines ranges from 6 kg to 17 kg. Generally, a 6 kg capacity washing machine is enough for a family.
- Functions in the machine: Generally, there is a range of up to 9 functions or cycle settings for different types of clothes like a quick wash, heavy wash, etc.
- BEE Ratings: Bureau of energy efficiency (BEE) is a Bureau which gives information about how much an electrical appliance is energy efficient. Higher is the BEE star rating more is the energy efficiency of the product. You should definitely be checking how much bee rated a machine is to check how much increase you are going to see in numbers of electricity bill.
Some recommended washing machines:
● LG 8.0 Kg Inverter Fully-Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – FH2G6TDNL42
● Bosch 7 Kg Fully-Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – WAK24268IN
● Samsung 6 Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine
● LG 6 Kg Inverter Fully-Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – FH0FANDNL02
● IFB 6.5 Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine
● LG 8 Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – T9077NEDL1
● Bosch 6.5 Kg Fully Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – WOE654WOIN
● Haier 5.8 Kg Fully Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – HWM58-020S
● LG 6.2 Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine
● IFB 6.5 Kg Fully Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine TL-RDW
If your health matters more than money for you (which is not for most people) then you should definitely go for a top-loading washing machine. But if you are looking for some extra space in your laundry area then the front-loading washing machine is best for you.